Reporting a Work-Related Injury in Winder

Getting injured at work can mean that you incur medical expenses at a time when you can’t earn an income because you are unable to work. However, the state of Georgia requires employers to have workers’ compensation insurance to cover the costs of medical care and loss of income for employees that are injured in the workplace. But to get the compensation you deserve, reporting a work-related injury in Winder is a must.

In order to claim benefits, you need to report your injury to your employer so that they can claim workers’ comp. It is recommended to contact a workers’ compensation lawyer in Winder before or as soon as possible after reporting your injury.

The Workers Compensation Lawyer Coalition Atlanta will provide you with the best legal advice and representation in order to ensure that your claim is paid by your employer and their insurance carrier. Call 470-518-5026 or fill out our online contact form to set up a free case evaluation and consultation.

Table of Contents

How Long Do I Have to Report a Workplace Injury in Winder, Georgia?

You have 30 days from the date of your injury to report it to your employer. If you miss this deadline, you will not be able to claim workers’ compensation and will lose both your medical and income benefits.

It is however highly recommended to report your injury immediately after it occurred or as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more benefits you will forfeit. For example, if you seek medical care from a private doctor before reporting your injury, these bills may not be covered by your workers’ compensation benefits. You may also lose income benefits for every day that you fail to report the injury.

Who Must I Report a Workplace Injury to?

You need to report your workplace injury to your direct supervisor or manager. If your company has a HR (Human Resources) person or department, you should also report your injury to them. Your employer may designate a specific person to whom the injury must reported in their policies and procedures document.

If you do not report your injury to the correct person, the claims process may not be started and you could forfeit your benefits – especially if it results in missing the 30-day deadline.

You may be asked to make a written statement of the events that caused the injury, details about the injury and provide other information. Your employer may have an incident report that you will be asked to complete. Although it is a good idea to have a written record of the report, the information can work against you when it comes time to claim your benefits.

Call the Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Coalition Atlanta before providing a written statement or completing an incident report.

Concept of Reporting a Work-Related Injuries in Winder

Employer Responsibilities After a Workplace Injury

Your employer carries a number of responsibilities when it comes to injuries in the workplace and paying workers’ compensation benefits.

  • Your employer must provide immediate medical care. This can be in the form of first aid for minor injuries or calling an ambulance to take you to hospital if you have been seriously injured.
  • Your employer must investigate the incident that caused your injury and take steps to prevent similar injuries from occurring in the future, if possible. The insurance carrier may also investigate the incident but this is only to determine whether to pay your claim or deny it.
  • Your employer is required to provide you with a physicians panel which is a list of doctors that are authorized by their insurance carrier to provide treatment.
  • Your employer is required to pay for all your medical care related to your injury for a specified period of time if you use a doctor on the panel of physicians.
  • Your employer is required to pay your income benefits while you are recovering and unable to work. If you are able to perform “light-duties” or work for reduced hours, your employer must pay partial income benefits.
  • Your employer must offer you “light-duties” if you are able to work in a reduced capacity until you are able to return to work in your full capacity. Your doctor must clear you to perform light-duties or return to work fully.

Employee Responsibilities After a Workplace Injury

Your primary responsibility after a workplace injury is to report it to your employer. If your employer is unaware that you have been injured, then they cannot claim workers’ compensation benefits from their insurance carrier to pay for your medical care or loss of income.

You will also have the following responsibilities in order to claim workers’ comp:

See an Approved Doctor

You need to select a doctor from the panel of physicians who will provide an evaluation of your injury as well as a treatment plan. If you use a different doctor, you will have to pay for your medical care yourself.

Follow the Doctor’s Instructions

You must follow the medical care instructions provided by your doctor in order to recover from your injury. If you fail to follow instructions, then it can appear as if you are trying to delay your return to work and you may forfeit your workers’ compensation benefits.

Return to Work When Able

You must return to work when you are fully recovered and your doctor has cleared you to do so. If you feel that you are not ready to return to work, you can request a second opinion from another doctor on the panel of physicians. Alternatively, you can submit to an independent medical exam.

Call Us When Reporting a Work-Related Injury in Winder, NC

If you have been injured at work and have not yet reported your injury, call the Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Coalition Atlanta today for legal advice and representation.

It is critical to report a work injury as soon as possible to avoid your workers’ comp claim being denied and forfeiting the benefits that are due to you. Remember that every day that goes by without reporting your injury could result in a loss of benefits.

If you need legal advice or help with how to report your injury, when you should report it and to whom, give us a call at 470-518-5026 . We are here to ensure that you get the workers’ compensation benefits that are due to you and that your claim is paid by your employer and their insurance carrier.