Reporting a Work-Related Injury in Ellenwood, GA

If you’ve gotten hurt on the job, reporting a work-related injury in Ellenwood may not be the first thing on your mind. However, if you’re hoping to collect workers’ compensation benefits in the future, your injury will need to be reported right away.

If you work with Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Coalition in Ellenwood, GA, you won’t have to worry about missing deadlines. We have extensive experience with workers’ comp claims in Georgia and can guide you through this process from start to finish.

Table of Contents

How Long Do I Have in Reporting a Work-Related Injury in Ellenwood, GA?

Work-related injuries should always be reported as soon as possible. Although Georgia law gives you 30 days to report an injury, reporting quickly can strengthen your claim and preserve valuable evidence. The longer you take to report an injury, the more likely it is that your claim will be denied.

In the majority of cases, a workers’ compensation claim must be filed within one year of the date of the injury or the date the injury was discovered. With that said, there are a number of exceptions to this time limit. For example, if you are receiving TTD or PTD benefits, you have two years from the date your benefits stop to file a claim for benefit resumption.

If you are suffering from a repetitive strain injury, you should report your symptoms to your employer as soon as you become aware of them. You should also seek medical attention as soon as possible. Not only can failure to receive care make it more difficult for you to recover from your injury, but it could impact your ability to collect benefits.

Ellenwood Reporting Work Injury Infographic

Who Do I Have to Report a Workplace Injury to?

Workplace injuries should be reported to your employer. Although injuries can be reported verbally to your supervisor, it can be beneficial to report the injury in writing. When you provide written notice, you are creating a paper trail that confirms the date your injury was reported.

When you submit written notice of your injury, you should provide the time and date the injury occurred, how the injury happened, and where the injury took place. You should also list symptoms you are experiencing as well as the name of witnesses that were present at the time of your injury. After submitting this information to your employer, you should keep an additional copy of the report for your own records.

After you have reported your injury, your employer should provide you with a WC-14 form. That form should be completed and submitted to both your employer and their workers’ compensation insurance provider as soon as possible. If your employer fails to provide you with the necessary form, you can request a form from the State Board of Workers Compensation.

Manager and Employee reporting a work-related injury in Ellenwood

Employer Responsibilities After a Workplace Injury

Employers are responsible for securing medical attention for injured workers if necessary. If workers need immediate medical attention, employers should call 911. If an ambulance is not necessary, the worker should be sent to a physician. Employers are also required to notify OSHA of the injury.

Employers must also provide workers with the necessary forms so that they can file a workers’ compensation claim and secure benefits. If an employer fails to provide a worker with the necessary forms in a timely manner, the employer could be subject to a fine.

Employers are expected to submit a First Notice of Injury report within 10 days of being notified of a work-related injury. A WC-6 wage statement for the injured worker should also be submitted so that benefits can be accurately calculated. An accident investigation report should be completed and submitted as soon as possible after an accident.

A list of authorized medical providers for workplace injuries should be posted publicly. The list should include a minimum of six certified medical care providers. Employers are also expected to help employees find approved medical providers if the employee requests care.

Employee Responsibility After a Workplace Injury

It is the responsibility of employees to report injuries to their employers in a timely manner. If workers require immediate medical care, they should seek medical attention first and notify their supervisor after receiving treatment. If an employee is informed of a pre-existing illness or injury by a doctor, they should notify their employer after receiving the report.

Employees are also responsible for completing and signing accident reports provided by their employer. If you feel that you are unable to accurately complete a report at the time that it is presented to you, you can ask to fill out the report at a later date.

Employees are expected to attend medical appointments and keep their employer updated on their condition. If a physician tells you that you are unable to work or recommends work restrictions, you should request a copy of that information and submit it to your employer.

Your employer is required to post the names of at least six different medicare care providers that you can seek care from. Your medical care should be paid in full by your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance provider.

Although employees should respond to employer requests for information, you are never obligated to provide a recorded statement to your employer’s insurance provider. It’s best to contact an attorney shortly after your injury so that you can meet your responsibilities and secure the appropriate benefits for your injury.

Call Us Today When Reporting a Work-Related Injury in Ellenwood

If you’ve suffered a work-related injury, you shouldn’t wait to take action. You’re entitled to receive medical benefits, and you may be eligible for direct payments as well. Since workers’ compensation claims are frequently disputed or denied, you’ll also want to make sure that you have expert attorneys fighting on your behalf.

The Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Coalition in Ellenwood, GA will ensure that your injury is properly reported and that you don’t miss any filing deadlines. We offer free case assessments and can help you determine the benefits that you’re entitled to. Contact us today at 470-518-5026 if you want to find out more.